Optalis is committed to ensuring people who receive our care and support are treated with dignity and respect at all times. We strive to provide services that are inclusive and ensure everyone has equal opportunities. Dignity Champions are present across our services to assist our teams and services in providing dignity in care and celebrating the diversity of our customers and colleagues.
A Dignity Champion is someone who firmly believes that being treated with dignity and equality is a fundamental human right, not an optional extra.
Our Dignity Champions help us to:
- Promote customer dignity, equality and respect in our everyday practice
- Focus on improving the way that services are delivered
- Create a positive culture in our services
- Improve the experiences of all those we work with
At Optalis we have over 30 people who have signed up to be Dignity Champions so far, all pledging to challenge poor care, act as good role models, and educate and inform all those working in our services to make small changes that can have a big impact.
Optalis has signed up to the ten dignity do’s to help us embrace and embed equality and dignity:
- Have a zero-tolerance of all forms of abuse
- Support people with the same respect you would want for yourself or a member of your family
- Treat each person as an individual by offering a personalised service
- Enable people to maintain the maximum possible level of independence, choice and control
- Listen and support people to express their needs and wants
- Respect people's right to privacy
- Ensure people feel able to complain without fear of retribution
- Engage with family members and carers as care partners
- Assist people to maintain confidence and positive self-esteem
- Act to alleviate people's loneliness and isolation
Read about our Dignity Events