The Provider of Choice
Improving quality, driving outcomes and offering value for money
In June 2011 Optalis was established as a company, wholly owned by Wokingham Borough Council (WBC) on behalf of local residents. Optalis represents a more innovative approach to the provision of care and support by local authorities. We are a local authority trading company (or LATCo) and we are proud to be one of the few, but growing number of LATCos in the country.
In April 2017 WBC and the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead (RBWM) agreed to move the Royal Borough’s adult social care services into Optalis, and we now provide adult social care services with and on behalf of both local authorities.
What are some of the benefits of working in this way?
- We are a local provider, with local knowledge and in touch with local community expectations and needs. We have our own dedicated Engagement and Customer Experience team to ensure that we stay close to the people we exist to serve.
- We are 100% Council owned, which means any financial surplus, generated through our operations, is returned to our Council shareholders, for further investment in local services.
- We are encouraged to innovate; both councils support us in doing things differently and doing new things, in response to customer feedback and commissioner requirements.
- We deliver services with a commercial approach, but hold on to a strong value base and public sector ethos; with quality and customer focus at the centre of everything we do.
- We work closely with our Local Authority partners to respond to new and changing demands for care and support services in the area.
- We offer stability and can step in to ensure support services continue to offer safe and effective care and support, in the event of provider failure.
The Optalis Board represents the interests of our owners, who are accountable to the residents and taxpayers of both Councils. The role of the Board is to manage the operation, strategy and governance of the organisation.
The Board consists of the Director for Adult Social Services (DASS) and Executive Lead Member for Adult Social Care (ASC) for each borough, and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Optalis, as follows:
- Hilary Hall (DASS) and Cllr Stuart Carroll (ASC Lead Member) for Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Council
- Matt Pope (DASS) and Cllr Charles Margetts (ASC Lead Member) for Wokingham Borough Council
- David Birch (CEO Optalis)