Optalis Try a Bus or Train Programme
At Optalis we are offering tailored, practical support to help you become more confident using local public transport.
Develop new options for independent travel through our Try a Bus or Train programme.
Learn how to travel by train or bus, become familiar with the assistance available on board, and learn about the stations and the facilities.
Our programme available to support those who might face barriers to train or bus travel. We have extensive experience supporting people with a variety of disabilities and support needs.
John: “For anyone wanting to become more independent I would say give this programme a go”
How our Travel Training works
We work with you at your own pace, helping you to build your confidence and knowledge using trains and buses. During our workshops we will teach you about:
- Planning your journey, reading timetables
- Buying tickets and accessing the platform or bus stop
- Railway and road safety
- Problem solving; What to do if things change (e.g. the train or bus is late)
- Understanding how to navigate around the stations using signage and where to seek help
We will travel with you on a short sample journey to a destination of interest and support you to explore the facilities at your destination.
Discover freedom and greater independence using local public transport.
Gillian: “I learned to know when to go to take the train”
View our leaflet here.
These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. We are not responsible for the content on external websites and the inclusion of a link on the Optalis website is not an endorsement of that website, its content, or any product or service it may provide. You do not have to use the external resources we link to.
- CLASP - self-advocacy group for people with learning disabilities in the Wokingham Borough
- Send Voices Wokingham - SEND Voices Wokingham is a Wokingham based, parent led charity. They are the independent voice of families, representing their experiences with the aim to improve lives.
- SENDIASS Wokingham - free, confidential, impartial advice, guidance and support for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
- Autism Berkshire - Autism charity in Berkshire, delivering specialist services, training and social and leisure activities throughout the county, guided by a team of trustees with personal and professional experience of autism.