Occupational Therapy - Equipment, adaptations and practical support
If you have a disability, are elderly or have a long term illness which causes you to have difficulties coping with daily living tasks, our Occupational Therapists can offer advice and support to make it easier for you to live independently. They also offer years of experience and thorough knowledge of techniques, theories and technologies to make sure your needs are met in an affordable, timely way.
Practical support, known as occupational therapy, enables you to carry out essential activities of daily living, with the aim of maintaining or improving independence.
What kind of help is there?
- We can advise on suitable equipment for you or adaptations for your home that will meet your needs.
- We may be able to supply some equipment on loan; for example, a raised toilet seat or bathing equipment.
- We can recommend minor adaptations to your home, like stair rails or outside hand rails.
- If we feel that major adaptations are needed, such as a stairlift or a ramp for wheelchair access, we can discuss how these can be funded.
- We aim to reduce anxiety and help people raise their confidence about getting around or managing their disability.
- Provide information on ways of obtaining appropriate support and helping people to connect to other relevant agencies.
- Assist carers to continue to maintain their caring responsibilities.
We want to help you live independently in your present home. But if we, or you, feel that you would be better off moving to different accommodation, we will discuss all the options with you.
Everyone's needs are different so the services offered to each individual will be different and based on assessed need with the national eligibility criteria. Together we will try to agree on the best way to provide the help that you need.
Find out more about equipment and grants available on the Adults, Family and Local Offer Directory
Once equipment has been prescribed to you
If you have been prescribed equipment that you no longer need or which needs to be repaired or serviced please contact NRS Healthcare on 0844 8936960 to arrange a collection.
Practical advice on daily living equipment
Living made easy is a website that provides practical advice on daily living equipment. It is supported by the Disabled Living Foundation (DLF), a national charity that is the leading source of impartial advice, information and training on independent living for disabled adults and children, older people, carers and care professionals.