Optalis - Choices for living

            0118 977 8600

          Windsor & Maidenhead Advice LineS:
          Physical Disabilities and Older Peoples Service: 01628 683744 
          Learning Disability Service: 01628 670117
          Mental Health Service:  01628 640200

Request a Callback

Assessing your care and support needs - call 01628 683744 during office hours

If you have care and support needs and find it difficult to look after yourself, we may be able to advise you and provide you with some help or advice.

You can ask for a care and support needs assessment by completing our online contact form or by calling the advice and information team on 01628 683744 during office hours.

The assessment

When we assess you, as a minimum you may be given information and signposting to other services, and ways that you might find funding to pay for them. However, if your needs meet the national eligibility criteria, we will have to meet these needs.

The local authority will involve you throughout the assessment to identify what your needs are and how these impact on your wellbeing. They will also discuss with you how you wish to live your life and whether there are certain aims you would like to achieve but you are unable to do so because of your care and support needs.

The assessment will start to consider how your care needs might be met. This could include identifying how preventative services like simple aids (such as devices to open jars and tins more easily), adaptations to your home (such as handrails) or information about support available in the community might meet your need. It will also identify if you have a higher level of need where you may need help in your own home or care in a care home.

The assessment will be carried out in a way that ensures your involvement and that takes the right amount of time to capture all of your needs.

If you have a friend or family member looking after you as an unpaid carer, they can have a carer's assessment to see if they need support to carry on their caring role.

We will give you a copy of your needs assessment or carer's assessment.

To read about the national eligibility criteria please view our eligibility webpage.

Local authorities' duty to carry out a needs assessment

Local authorities' duty to carry out a needs assessment

Local authorities have a duty to assess a person who appears to need care and support. They may need care and support because of:

serious illness,
physical disability,
sensory need,
learning disability,
mental health problems or frailty because of old age.

We are obliged to carry out a needs assessment when we become aware that someone may be in need of care and support. This may mean that an assessment is offered even if you have not specifically requested one. Alternatively, you can contact us to ask for an assessment.

Normally, an assessment is carried out before a service can be provided by us. If you need care urgently, we may be able to meet these needs without completing the assessment first, for example if there is an unexpected crisis.

Local authorities' duty to carry out a carer's assessment

Local authorities have a duty to carry out a carer's assessment where a carer appears to need support.

The carer's assessment will consider the carer's need for support and what may be needed to help the carer to continue with their caring role. The assessment can be offered even if the carer has not asked for one.

Needs assessments and local authority funding

If you disagree with your needs assessment, support plan or personal budget, there are ways that decisions can be challenged or you can make a complaint.

  • LinkedIn
  • Google+