Optalis - Choices for living

Need Help?

Get in touch

Support for Carers

Do you support or look after somebody?

You can get information, advice and support to help you continue with your caring role. There are many types of support and advice available for carers.
If you live in the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead. Visit the Support for carers page - here.
If you live in Wokingham Borough Council area visit the Support for cares page - here

The term 'carer' may be unfamiliar to you and it may seem strange to be described as one. In England, millions of us provide unpaid care or support to an adult family member or friend, either in our own homes or somewhere else. We use the term 'carer' to describe anyone who looks after someone or feels responsible for someone who cannot manage at home without some support. This may be because of illness, disability, mental ill-health, learning disabilities and problems with drug and alcohol misuse.

'Caring' for someone covers lots of different things, like helping with their washing, dressing or eating, taking them to regular appointments or keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious.

Are you a young carer?

Young carers are children and young people aged 18 years and under who provide care and support for someone in their family who is ill, has a disability, or mental health problems or who may be misusing alcohol or drugs. This could be your mum or dad, brother or sister or your grandparent.

Check out this page

What help could you get?

You have the right to a carer's assessment. This is an opportunity to look at how caring affects you, what would help you to go on caring and to have a life outside caring.

A carer's assessment will look at the different ways that caring affects your life and work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. Your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing will be at the heart of this assessment.

You can have a carer's assessment even if the person you care for does not get any help from the council, and they will not need to be assessed.

The right help at the right time

As a result of the assessment, you may be eligible for support. We will also offer you advice and guidance to help you with your caring responsibilities and help you look after your own wellbeing.

You may be eligible for support, such as a direct payment to spend on the things that make caring easier; or practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break.

You may prefer just to be put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.

How do you get a carer's assessment?

The council of the person you care for can help you find the right support and you can ask them for a carer's assessment.

Useful websites and publications

National carers organisations including Carers UK and Carers Trust may offer you additional advice and support. 

  • LinkedIn
  • Google+